Today is the 495th anniversary of Martin Luther’s nailing of his 95 theses on the door of the Wittenberg castle church. In honor of that day, here are a few of my favorite Luther quotes:
* Unless I am convinced by the testimony of the Scriptures or by clear reason (for I do not trust either in the pope or in councils alone, since it is well known that they have often erred and contradicted themselves), I am bound by the Scriptures I have quoted and my conscience is captive to the Word of God.
* There are two days in my calendar: This day and that Day.
* You are not only responsible for what you say, but also for what you do not say.
* I am more afraid of my own heart than of the pope and all his cardinals. I have within me the great pope.
* I’ve got so much work to do today, I’d better spend two hours in prayer instead of one.
* Peace if possible. Truth at all costs.